Monday, May 14, 2012

St Simon's Island, Ga - March 2012


Well, it took about a month for the repair work on Dreamer to be completed in St Augustine.  A lot of fiberglass work to the rudder, and the aft section of the hull.  The good news is that it should be a lot stronger than it came from the factory.  I left Charlotte in early March for St Augustine.  It turned out that the best way to get there was by Greyhound bus - haven't traveled that way in quite a while. St Augustine is a beautiful city - will have to stop again....

St Augustine Municipal Building

I left St Augustine for a leisurely trip up the ICW, with a few planned stops along the way. The first leg was to St Simons Island, Ga.  This was a two day trip.  I stopped by to check out St Mary's Ga on the way.  I had heard from several cruisers that this was a favorite place to leave their boats for extended storage.  It was a nice little town on the river, and a good possibility for long term storage. The two day trip was uneventful, except for picking up a crab pot at the entrance to St Mary's River. At least that's what I believe it was.  The helm was sluggish (like a weight hanging on the propeller shaft), and my first thought was that something had gone wrong with the recent repair.  Thankfully, by the time I stopped, had lunch and thought about it (climbing down to check things out and cut it free if necessary), it had worked itself free and the helm was back to normal. Thank goodness.  I spent one afternoon and night at St Simons - long enough to walk around the island.  This is one of the stops that it would have been good to have a bicycle on board.  But, it was a nice walk, and served to get me ready for the 10K walk soon to come in Charleston. 

From the pier at the end of the "town strip", I got a good picture of the St Simon's lighthouse,...

St Simons Lighthouse


And a very photo friendly pelican.....
St Simons Pelican

No comments:

Post a Comment